The world has gone through a lot over 2020 and 2021. Inflation is rising everywhere and people in several countries are facing tougher times and uncertainty.
Malaysia is inevitably affected by this. While the job market might seem very competitive and saturated at the moment, there is a good way to work around it: become a personal tutor.
Personal tutors or a private tutor are people who are hired by a student or family and provide one-on-one instruction to help students achieve their academic or personal learning goals. They work with students on specific subjects, especially the ones they're struggling with, or to prepare for exams.
Becoming a tutor is all about creating a tailored study plan based on the strengths of your learner. From kindergarten to college level, there are always plenty of people who need your help. Feel the benefits of getting involved in online tutoring or one-on-one tutoring at home.
If you want to learn more about becoming a tutor Malaysia, keep reading for more tips!
Make Money in Malaysia by Becoming a Private Tutor
With all the uncertainty in the job market a lot of people are looking for second jobs to have a higher income. On the other hand, the freedom that comes with choosing your own schedule and not being tied to a corporate 9 to 5 setting makes online tuition Malaysia quite attractive to some. Finally, some students are also quite determined to use all of their knowledge and make a bit of money while they are at school.
Whatever the reason, becoming a private tutor in Malaysia can be an excellent way of making more money and making sure that you don't depend on a single source of income.
You should consider some things before you start tutoring:
Do you want to privately tutor your students (1-on-1), or tutor students in groups?
- If you do private tutoring you will need to understand that every student has different struggles and you will have to individualize your lesson plans. The ‘one size fits all’ approach just won’t work. This requires more preparation for each tutoring session, and more attention to the learning style of each student. Also, private tutoring comes with higher expectations; not only from students, but from parents. So, as a private tutor, you need to take special care in setting realistic expectations. Your job as a tutor is to facilitate learning.
- If you do group tutoring you will need to have a more curriculum-based approach. That doesn’t mean you can just abandon the individual needs of your students, it means you won’t be able to provide the same level of personal attention as a private tutor. You should set a minimum group size in order to remain profitable, and only run your tutoring sessions when you have signed up enough students. Otherwise, you are better off with private tutoring.
Do you want to become an online tutor or give home tuition in person?
- Online tutoring offers a lot more flexibility and convenience than traditional tutoring. There is no need to commute, and it can be done virtually anywhere. Because of how significant technology is in our lives and society, students nowadays are familiar with the online world and therefore, all of the technology associated with online lessons and learning. As a tutor, you can use modern technologies to enhance their learning and make the learning experience more interactive and enjoyable. Your students will be able to learn and understand topics in a more dynamic way than just pen and paper or a chalkboard and, after a lesson, they can have access to recordings and a chat history of their lesson in case they didn’t fully understand a certain topic or if they missed something, ensuring that they soak in everything that was taught in any lesson. That said, if you are not super comfortable with technology, being an online tutor could be challenging.
- Traditional tutoring is a teaching practice in which the tutor and the student meet in person. Depending on the teacher’s preferred teaching approaches and methods, they can use traditional teaching resources such as books and handouts as well as more modern ones. In this case, in-person communication can be very beneficial with hands-on skills where a teacher can assist and provide more personalized assistance. It is also beneficial for young learners who thrive on interpersonal communication, learn by imitating adults, and have not yet developed an ability to effectively work by themselves. More extroverted children who are naturally inclined to interact with other people may prefer in-person tutoring as well.
Using your academic skills to help others allows you to gain valuable experience whilst adding to your income. It is also one of the most enjoyable and rewarding options for those looking to earn some more money offering tutoring services.
Does Home Tuition Give You More Financial Freedom?
Earning money takes planning hard work and budgeting. You have to advertise yourself, figure out the marketing side, office space, website hosting, etc… That said, there are many benefits to being a tutor that grant you both financial freedom and time to work on other projects.
When it comes to financial freedom, it is important to note that you will need to get a good base of clients before you feel comfortable with your earnings as a tutor. Once you have that roster of clients you will discover that earning money through making sure that children are not left behind by their peers and helping them to succeed is an incredibly rewarding and interesting job.
How Much Should You Charge as A Private Tutor?
Every private tutor has a different profile and background, that's what makes private tuition so interesting for students. Students will respond better to a teacher that is suited to them, in terms of both temperament and learning style. Unlike school, where students generally have very little, if any, choice in regards to who their teachers are, opting for private tuition does allow the student or their parents to pick a tutor that they feel comfortable with.
This is why there is a very wide range of tutors available, each with their own strengths, specialties and learning styles. This amount of diversity leads to even more differences when it comes to the cost of private tuition.
It can also get tricky since you don't want to be too high or too low on the price range. For example, if you’re only beginning to teach as a personal tutor, you will find the issue of setting your tuition fees rather challenging.
If you go too low, you will most likely recruit a large crowd of people from different walks of life that will quickly fill up your schedule and bring in the revenue you may have originally intended. However, there will be a cost for you to pay, too: you will have high volumes of work, demanding clients, little time for professional development, little time for preparation and polishing up the quality of your services, and almost no personal time.
On the other hand, if you set your fees higher than expected, the thoughts that will bug you are whether or not you are going to make it, whether or not the students will find you and want to buy what you’ve got to offer at your listed price, and people may think that you’re unreasonable.
So, what is the answer then? Check out the following tips so you can learn how to establish your price as a private tutor or online tutor in Malaysia:
- The first stage in determining how much your tutoring services should be charged is to determine what other tutoring facilities are loading in your region. You will want to concentrate on tutors offering comparable facilities to you as tutoring rates for distinct kinds of tutoring can vary widely. In order to figure this out you can conduct an online search for tutoring services in your area and find out about rates by calling tutoring services up and requesting or visiting their website for rates. Online tutoring directories can also be checked to figure out what autonomous tutors are charging.
- Write down all your achievements (set aside your University degree) that make you more competitive than others. Reviewing your resume or putting together a competitive LinkedIn profile might be a great start. Remember that each achievement you have written down has taken time and money investment. This will give you a bit more clarity of what you are worth as a tutor. On the other hand, you can look at other tutors' profiles and see their own achievements and qualifications. If someone with less qualifications and experience than you is charging more money you know that something is off.
- Determine how much it costs you to be a tutor. As with any business, there will be costs associated with tutoring, and you don’t want to overlook them when figuring out your hourly rate. Whether you have to pay for the gas it takes to drive and meet your clients, or any materials you need to purchase in order to teach your students effectively, be sure to account for every expense. If you want to stay in business, and continue to help your students grow, you need to make a profit. You should charge enough to cover your expenses while also paying yourself enough to make tutoring a financially worthy pursuit. That’s why keeping track of your expenses, and managing your books properly, is one of the most critical steps in charging the proper rate.
- Be in line with the costs of the subjects you tutor. Certain subjects are in higher demand, which means you could garner a higher rate for tutoring them. You might also garner more for teaching a foreign language. Have in mind that the subjects that students are most looking for support with could shift with the season, as well, which can allow you to bumping your rate.
- Your rate will depend on the format you choose, whether it is as an online tutor or in-person. When you first start out, the idea of tutoring students online might seem like a great idea. However, it is a more difficult road than you might think. Unlike tutoring online, in-person tutoring can be easier in the short term, but your market size will be restricted to people in your area. Therefore, as an in-person tutor you will end up relying heavily on word of mouth for the majority of your marketing. Some tutors charge less money for the same lesson when it is given online, this is because they don't have to pay for transportation costs and other expenses like finding a physical space for the lessons.
Having these things in mind will give you more clarity on how much you should charge as a private tutor. Remember to ask yourself: What do the students are paying you for? Is it just the private lessons? How about lesson plans? Worksheets and other materials that you create? Any support that you give outside of your classes? Know what is involved in your learning experience, other than just giving lessons and craft all these experiences into a package.
Having tutoring experience on your CV not only makes it stand out to potential employers, who place great value on the skills associated with it, but it can also supplement your income and relieve the everyday stress that comes with money.
Why Do Some Tutors Charge More Than Others?
If you go to the Superprof website to look for private tutors, you will soon realize that all of them have set different hourly rates for their work. But, why does this happen?
You need to understand that every single tutor is unique and that they bring many things to the table including their academic background, years of experience, diplomas and, of course, their personality.
The following factors influence the hourly rate that a private tutor Malaysia set for his/her classes:
Where they are located
Are you located on Kuala-terengganu? Or maybe Kuantan? What about Kuching or Miri? Well, believe it or not, the city where you are located has a lot to do with the price that you can charge for your private tutoring. Just like rents are more expensive in some cities than others, prices for services such as tutoring can go up and down as well.
Let's give you a practical example. The hourly rate per hour of English lessons in the different cities of Malaysia are as follows:
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Kuala-terengganu is RM38
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Kuentan is RM43
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Kuching is RM38
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Miri is RM43
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Iskandar-puteri is RM54
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Petaling-jaya is RM47
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Seremban is RM44
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Shah-alam is RM47
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Subang-jaya is RM47
- The average hourly rate per English lesson in Ipoh is RM41
As you can see, some prices are way lower than others while the average price for English classes in overall Malaysia is RM48. Depending in which city you are located is the price that you can set for your lessons when you become a personal tutor.
Their Professional Experience
Another really important factor to establish your hourly rate as a private tutor is your professional experience. Just as in most industries, the more experience you have under your belt, the higher a rate you should be able to command. You can start with a lower hourly rate, and as the years go by, raise it gradually as a result of your experience.
You should evaluate if you have personal experience (tutoring friends and family) or professional experience (teaching in a school, private clients, tutoring center, etc.) as well as take note of your experience with the subjects you offer. For example, someone with an advanced degree in mathematics, a math teaching credential and test prep math training should charge more hourly than someone who’s perhaps passionate/talented in math but lacks this experience.
Part of evaluating your services should include how complicated the content is that you offer. Courses like Advanced Chemistry or college level math support should have a higher price than other more lightweight subjects. People who teach comparatively “tricky” subjects or those who offer some unique teaching like special education can take the liberty to charge slightly higher prices. If you offer a higher level of upper elementary math tutoring, you can charge higher because clients would be willing to pay for it.
You probably are well aware of the significance of professional experience in your field. It positively influences your charges as well. In fact, some relevant certifications also add to your credibility and experience as a tutor.
Their Academic Background
Are you a graduate? Or a postgraduate? Did you get your education from a prestigious institution?
Most parents (or students) give a reasonably high weightage to the tutor’s level of education. Some even tend to prefer tutors who have graduated from a reputed school or college in their field of study.
Above everything, remember that pricing is not a one-time job but more of an iterative process. You might not get the numbers right on your first attempt. You will understand how much you should charge for tutoring services over time. However, when you need to change your pricing and run experiments about how a particular rate has performed for you, you need the right medium to communicate.
If you are wondering how you will reach a wide number of potential students, don't worry: Superprof has got your back! By signing up on our website as a private tutor you will have access and be exposed to thousands of students all over Malaysia who are looking for a personal tutor just like you.
Remember to advertise yourself well and show your strengths. It's important that you stand out and that your profile looks polished and professional. A lot of students check out the profiles thoroughly to figure out which tutor is the best fit for them. Include your academic experience and education and all the diplomas you have as well as your professional experience. You can also share a little bit more about yourself so they can get to know your personality and what your approach to teaching will be.
Remember also that reviews matter. At the beginning of your tenure with Superprof you probably won't have a lot of reviews but as time passes, more and more students will have experienced classes or courses with you and they will probably leave reviews on your profile.
Make sure that you make a good impression on them and that they are inspired to leave a positive review. This will help you greatly and more prospective students will feel excited to approach you once they see how well you have performed in the past!
Becoming a private tutor is a career decision that can change your life for the best. You can have financial freedom, control your own schedule, meet interesting people and build your CV. All you need to do is take the plunge and get ready to impress everyone with your tutoring skills.
Join the tutor community of Superprof and start your new life as a private tutor now!
Find out how tutoring can mean freedom in your work!
The platform that connects tutors and students