"Be a lifelong student. The more you learn, the more you earn and more self confidence you will have." -Brian Tracy
Learning is a constant experience that is observed from infancy to old age. As humans, we will never stop learning, and that is an astonishing fact; the joy of discovering a new concept will never cease to exist!
Many academic disciplines are worthy of consideration such as mathematics, language arts, economics, biology, chemistry, and physics.
The previously mentioned scientific disciplines allow us to peer into how the universe functions which is a fascinating adventure. Therefore, without further ado, Superprof will focus on physics and how it can be revised using books, websites and online resources such as podcasts and mobile phone apps.
Physics Revision Books
Let's not beat around the bush; physics is a challenging academic discipline. The complex concepts and mathematical equations are enough to give anyone a headache. Nevertheless, by using the right teaching methods and resources, physics can be an extremely rewarding subject to review.
It is important to note that in the United Kingdom physics can be reviewed by students before even reaching university. At the age of 14, pupils based in the UK start their GCSEs and Sciences are one of the core disciplines. Before beginning the first mandatory year of the GCSEs, students may select one of the scientific subjects (biology, chemistry or physics) or choose combined science which encompasses all three scientific disciplines.
If the pupil thoroughly enjoyed physics, there is the option to study physics as part of postsecondary education. There are many prestigious universities where physics can be reviewed.
Although physics can be studied in the classroom under the careful guidance of an experienced educator, many individuals in recent years have decided to acquire the basics of physics through self-study by selecting a dynamic textbook.
Many books wonderfully engagingly cover the fundamentals of physics. Some of the most highly recommended books about physics include the following:
- Physics for Dummies: let's face it, we are all dummies when learning a new academic discipline. The For Dummies book series has published a wide variety of books that cover many topics with the purpose of educating individuals about things in a way that is clear and easy to understand. Physics for Dummies helps secondary school students and university graduates straightforwardly grasp the fundamentals of physics. The newest teaching techniques, explanations and examples are featured in this book to make physics accessible for all learning styles. With Physics for Dummies, its official: you don't have to be an Einstein to learn physics!
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics: written by renowned physicist and Nobel prize laureate Richard Feynman, this book is widely regarded as being one of the best books to grasp the basic concepts of physics. The Feynman Lectures on Physics was published in 1964, and since then over 1.5 million copies have been sold and translated into a dozen foreign languages. Feynman never expected the book to become a success and admits that it was a mere "experiment." Basic concepts such as Newton's laws and complicated ideas like general relativity and quantum mechanics are all featured in this 1552 page textbook. All interested ones will not be disappointed studying this magnum opus,
- Fundamentals of Physics: written by American physicist David Halliday, the Fundamentals of Physics has been used continually inside and outside the classroom since 1960. It has been translated into more than 47 languages and remains one of the essential books to grasp the fundamentals of physics. The book has been revised a few times since its first publishing; however, the final revision, the 10th edition, is widely regarded as the best since it builds on previous reviews and features video illustrations that bring the entire subject to life.
The previously mentioned options are highly recommended and available for purchase on various internet e-commerce stores such as Amazon, Wordery and Waterstones. Don't wait any longer, buy or rent an informative book to start mastering the concepts of physics today!
Note: You can find an online Physics tutor on Superprof.
Physics Revision Websites
Physics is an extremely relevant scientific discipline that examines the study of matter, its motion and its behaviour through space and time. It is important to note that the primary goal of physics is to understand how the universe works and behaves.
Physics is one of the oldest academic disciplines and has been studied for years. Some of the most recognisable physicists include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton and Marie Curie whose discoveries have shaped the scientific world.
Primary benefits of studying the physical world include heightened problem-solving skills, the explanation of complex concepts in a logical manner, learning about how things function, and those who have previously studied physics are more attractive to university recruiters and future employers.
Find a physics maths tutor on Superprof now.
Therefore, how does one refine their physics concepts?
Have no fear; the internet is here! There are many online websites designed to equip interested ones of all ages with the fundamentals of physics. It does not matter if you are in secondary school, university or a working professional, the variety of websites available fit the needs of all learning styles.
Without further delay, the following are some of Superprof's most highly recommended websites to master the fundamentals of physics:
- Physics is Beautiful: a brilliant site that has a wide variety of free, interactive physics lessons. The three founders have the purpose of making physics accessible and engaging for all types of learners. Think of their website as DuoLingo but for physics. Physical concepts such as vectors, unit conversion, motion diagrams, forces and Newton's law are all covered on the site. On a November 2018 blog post from the Physics is Beautiful blog, the founders announced great news. What was the fantastic news? A mobile application to learn on the go was released for Android users! Take a look at their website you won't be disappointed,
- Khan Academy Physics: a non-profit site that has the goal of providing a world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Academic subjects such as biology, chemistry, mathematics, economics, arts & humanities, computing, and, of course, physics. Practice exercises, educational videos and a unique dashboard make this website stand out among the rest. The physics section encourages pupils to start with the introduction to physics to have a firm foundation before moving on to more complicated concepts. The course summary consists of topics such as motion, gravity, work, energy, waves, fluids, electric charge and thermodynamics. Everything that is posted on the Khan Academy website is trustworthy and of the highest quality,
- Real World Physics Problems: an intriguing site that has the purpose of educating everyday people about the physical world. No previous knowledge of physics is required since examples are based on real-world situations that commonly occur. Some of the favourite real-life examples to better understand the fundamentals of physics include amusement parks, battles & weapons, engineering and sports. Real World Physics Problems is a website worthy of consideration for all interested ones.
Learning online using resourceful websites has modernised the education experience. The generations of today cannot go back to the old learning methods of the past. Therefore, the sites considered in today's article are informative, engaging, and designed to keep physics revision entertaining for all in today's computer age.
Online Physics Revision Resources
“Teachers need to integrate technology seamlessly into the curriculum instead of viewing it as an add-on, an afterthought, or an event.” - Heidi-Hayes Jacobs
The quote stated above could not be more accurate. Educators working today have the immense responsibility of implementing technology in the classroom to keep pupils engaged in what they are learning.
We are currently living in the information age and the youth born in the 21st century are using modern technology to grasp new academic concepts. Instrumental tools such as websites, e-books, applications and podcasts keep learning exciting and should be included when reviewing physics.
Superprof will now consider some of the most beneficial mobile phone apps and podcasts to grasp the basics of physics.
Need more than podcasts? Hire a math and physics tutor.
Best Mobile Phone Applications to Revise Physics
According to recent statistics, the Google Play Store features over 2.1 million apps, and the Apple App Store has over 2 million apps available for download. Popular app categories include Health & Fitness, Entertainment, Photo & Video, Food & Drink, Finance and Education.
In the Education section of online app stores, applications about learning more about physics are featured for interested individuals.
The following are some of the most highly recommended applications for pupils reviewing the concepts of physics:
- Khan Academy Mobile App: free for download on the Google Play and Apple App Store, this educational application always strives to feature academic excellence from a wide variety of subjects. After downloading, learning more about physics can be interactively done on the go. The practise questions that include step by step hints are featured to ensure success, and educational videos make reviewing physics more accessible for visual learners,
- Pocket Physics: a fantastic application that primarily focuses on the necessary topics of physics. It is entirely free and features valuable information about physics topics such as linear motion, forces, waves, gravity, electricity and astronomy. Downloading this app is significantly suggested for secondary school and university students needing after class remedial support in the academic discipline of physics.
Best Podcasts to Learn More About Physics
Podcasts have become increasingly popular since 2004. The word podcast comes from the combination of the words iPod and broadcasting. Podcasts are audio files that can be downloaded and focus on a wide variety of intriguing subjects.
Popular podcasts that can be listened to while exercising, taking a walk, or commuting to work include the topics of Art, Beauty, Business, Health, Hobbies and Education.
The following are some the best podcasts recommended for listening to acquire a firm grasp of physical concepts:
- The Titanium Physicists Podcast: Dr Ben Tippet and his associates believe that anyone can understand physics; therefore, they have created an engaging podcast that explains physics concepts using fun metaphors, explanations and experiments. Over 70 episodes are featured on their website covering a wide range of topics,
- Physics from the Imperial College London: the Imperial College London is a world-renowned education centre that delivers excellence in a wide variety of academic disciplines. Their physics podcast comes highly recommended featuring over 79 episodes that vary in length and cover a wide range of fundamental physics topics.
The beauty of podcasts is that they are educational, informative and can be listened to at a time and place most convenient for you. The previously mentioned options are worthy of subscription to effectively learn the basics of physics.
Essential Tips to Keep in Mind When Revising Physics
When reviewing any academic subject helpful tips from more experienced scholars are gladly welcomed. Physics is no different. Pupils who are revising physics claim that it is too complicated and requires a superior mind; while it is a challenging subject, the fundamentals of physics can be assimilated with the correct motivation.
Here are some of the most useful tools to keep in mind when revising physics:
- Master the Basic Concepts of Maths: without a firm foundation of maths, physics will be an ugly struggle. The basics of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus need to be mastered to understand the equations required in physics. Developing an appreciation for maths will go a long way and make physics more interesting,
- Be an Active Learner: there is no shame in raising your hand to ask a question during physics courses. Ultimately, it's the best way to learn new concepts. Talk to other students and teachers about topics that you do not understand thoroughly. If you are a timid individual, write down your questions and share them with your professor after class,
- Study Every Day: developing a mastery of physics requires time and effort but can be done with a little bit of studying every day. Remember, studying 15 minutes per day has been proven to be more beneficial than studying 3 hours once a week.
Physics can be successfully revised by using the books, websites, applications and podcasts suggested in today's article. The beginning process of studying physics may be painful, but the rewards of mastering a new academic discipline are invaluable.