Kuala Lumpur rises up out of steamy, equatorial, Southeast Asian jungle, Malaysia’s capital city — a chaotic, multiethnic, multicultural modern metropolis of Malay, Chinese, and Indian.
– Anthony Bourdain
Kuala Lumpur, a haven for food lovers – well-known for its delicious and scrumptious food delicacies. This capital city of Malaysia harboured the tallest twin tower in the world and is full of diverse cultures, races, and even nationalities.
Covid-19 Pandemic has changed our lifestyle – 180 degrees. Schools and offices had been shut since March 2020. The majority has shifted to the online environment whether for classes or work. Today, many tutors are popping up like mushrooms after rain due to the surge in demand for education tutors. The classes can be done on two different platforms, either online or face-to-face class.
In today’s article, we shall find out the benefit of hiring an English tutor and where to find the best English tuition centres in the area of Kuala Lumpur and its neighbouring areas.
The Needs to Hire an English Tutor
Bahasa Malaysia is the national language; however, English has been used ever since the British colonial time in the 19th century. This has made English one of the communicative languages spoken especially in Kuala Lumpur.
You should not be surprised when you see that most Malaysian can speak several languages. The co-existence between multiple races has enabled them to speak at least two languages! Today, learning the third and fourth languages has become a trend, especially in the younger generation.
Have you ever heard the word “Manglish” before? Well, now you have. “Manglish” is one kind of informal language that only exists in Malaysia. A new language has come to light due to a combination of languages; Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil called the “Manglish” slang.
As we know, each different country has its own unique English slang such as American English, British English, and many more. Can “Manglish” be accepted as one of the new slangs of English?
From my honest point of view, Manglish is actually a steppingstone for Malaysians to at least speak English. The majority of those who are living in suburban areas are still scared to speak proper English. It’s not because they couldn't do it, but because they are lacking exposure to the English environment. However, is it OKAY to speak Manglish? My answer is “NO”.
Here are a few reasons why you should take up a proper English lesson in Kuala Lumpur:
- Malaysian Higher Education uses English as a medium for learning.
- English is one of the mandatory subjects that requires passing with a good mark in order to get a higher chance to get into a good college.
- Malaysian University English Test (MUET) is needed to get accepted into any of the bachelor’s degree programmes in Malaysia.
- Universal Language: with the existence of countless foreigners in Kuala Lumpur, English is a medium we can use to communicate with people.
The world has come to an era where the ability to speak more languages can help you sail further in life. The world has been assimilated into one-world citizens, where everybody can gather at one point in the universe and have a wonderful chat with each other.
Are you still not convinced yet as to why you should take up an English class? Let’s take a look at the advantages of hiring an English Tutor.
How to Choose the Best English Centres
Learning an alien language will be a bit tough especially for those who do not know the right place to learn. Hiring a suitable language tutor is the first vital step to learn easily. Here I listed a few ways to learn the language and its benefits.
- Tuition Centre: This is the cheapest way for you to be able to learn a new language. The class will be held in a group of 10-15 pupils. The most common language offered are English, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin, and Arabic. The duration is usually 1-2 hours per session.
- Language Centre: This class will be conducted in a small/big group of students. However, you do not need to enroll in any prestigious language college and does not require any certificate to get in. There are two options – a short course (3 – 6 months) or a longer course (6 – 24 months). This course has been designed specifically for mastering only one language at a time. Every student attending will be learning the same thing as you. This creates an environment that is suitable to practice your newly learned language.
- Home Tutor: Hiring a personal tutor can be a faster way to learn a new language without the hustle of going to class and you are free to set the time and place of your convenience. The lesson will be tailored to your needs. You do not need to wait for your classmates to get to catch up as the lesson can be skipped to an advanced level which is more suitable for you.
- Language Expert: Most language experts possess reputable certification and have proven to be more qualified to teach languages. Attending classes with a language expert can cost a lot! Yet, your mastering speed to one language will be shorter as you are learning from a professional. As this is also a one-to-one class, you can practice more with your language expert.
Did you know that there are great possibilities for you to find a qualified English tutor in Ipoh?
Looking for The Best English Classes in Kuala Lumpur
According to the Malaysian Ministry of Education, there are over 3,000 registered tuition centres, 80 universities, and more than 400 learning centres in Malaysia that teach English. The majority of the learning centres are situated in Kuala Lumpur.
Learning English at an Academic Institute
Those who would like to get an English tutor from a distinguished language centre in Kuala Lumpur can choose one of the best options below:
- Inter-Cultural Language School
- The Language House, Malaysia
- English Language Company
- The YMCA of Kuala Lumpur
- Sheffield Education Group Australia
- Stratford International Language Centre
- Premium Language Centre
- Dahlia Language Centre
- Coventry Language Centre
- Vision International Academy
These Language Centres have earned a good reputation in Kuala Lumpur. Most of the classes are conducted by the best professional educators in the industry. The cost varies and the schedule for classes will be at convenient times such as evenings and weekends.
Check out the English tutors available in Penang.
Private Tutors on Superprof
It is astonishing how much enjoyment one can get out of a language that one understands imperfectly.
— Basil Lanneau Gildersleeve
In this 21st Century, people have resorted to online classes with an English Tutor or one-to-one lesson through a reputable website.
It is well known that the most distinguished and leading online tuition by far is Superprof. Here is why Superprof has bested other competing tutoring sites far behind:
- Tutors are highly qualified,
- Variety of educators teaching many languages,
- Native English speakers who offer engaging and interactive classes,
- Possibility to learn English online via Skype, Zoom, or face-to-face,
- Affordable rates starting at less than RM 40 per hour
- The first lesson is 100% free!
According to the Superprof site, there are over 1240 English tutors in Kuala Lumpur available for face-to-face lessons, and over 38,000 English teachers available teaching via webcam. Click on Superprof site to browse through the abundance of tutors and start learning English today!
Tips to Learn English Successfully
Learning a new language can be hard for anyone who wants to learn other languages that they are not accustomed to. So, here are some essential tricks that can make learning English more achievable:
- Never Translate: this is a no-no! We are prone to translate everything first before saying them out loud. This action can make the sentences sound absurd and sometimes doesn't make any sense.
- Have Goals: Why are you learning English? Have a clear objective, so as not to lose motivation and gave up just after we started learning. Thus, having a short-term goal that leads to long-term objectives is the key to mastering the English language.
- Non-Stop Practice: this is a very crucial step for those who are learning a new language. Find a peer to communicate with. These days you can find many people to converse with by using educational apps and reviewing lessons. This can help the non-native speaker to master English in no time!
- Focus on Communication: it can be hard, in the beginning, to observe the grammatical mistakes, sentence structuring, and even writing, however, just start with communication from the get-go. Don't get embarrassed if what you are saying is a complete mess, at least you tried!
Take a look at the English Classes in Malaysia.
All the tips mentioned are taken from experienced professionals for both beginners in learning English more effectively and tutors to teach in a successful manner.
A foreign language is like a frail, delicate muscle. If you do not use it, it weakens.
The platform that connects tutors and students