I am so excited to tell you that mathematics SPM paper is super easy to score. Want to know how? Read till the end. I promise you’ll get a bunch of tips and ideas to tackle ‘A’ for your mathematics paper.
Through my experience, mathematics is the easiest subject that can be improved in such a short time. Well, it still depends on your motivation and effort.
“No Pain, No Gain”
What I like about math is that the answer will definitely be there. Numbers never tell lies. There are multiple methods that you can use to solve 1 question but the answer will all turn out to be the same.
The analogy is just like our age. No matter how hard you try to hide your age, through surgeries or natural ways perhaps, but, the numbers won’t change – not even a day's difference.
It is the same with the marking scheme. There might be different ways for you to solve the questions, as long as the answer is correct and the method is logical, you will definitely get a mark for that.
Without further ado, let’s go on to the SPM Instrument for mathematics papers that has been prepared by the Malaysia Examination Board (Lembaga Peperiksaan Malaysia, LPM) through the Ministry of Education, MOE.
You can also take a look at SPM Past Year Paper to get an idea on how the actual SPM Mathematics papers looks like.
What is the Latest SPM Mathematics Paper Marking Scheme?
As you may know, there are 2 papers for you to sit for the SPM Mathematics paper. There isn't much difference in SPM Mathematics paper 1. The number of questions are still 40 with 1 mark each that total up to 40 marks for paper 1.
However, the difference lies in paper 2. Instead of 2 sections, there will be 3 sections. The weightage for paper 2 is still 100 marks. Previously, Section A had the highest mark of 52 which section A is the easiest to score.
Now, the weightage for section B contains 45 marks and section C with 15 marks. There is only 1 question to answer in the last section.
Here is how the marks will be calculated.
Paper 1 : 40
Paper 2 : 100
Total : 140 x 100 / 140 = 100%
Let us move to the next questions, how you can target A in your SPM Mathematics.
How to Target A for SPM Latest Mathematics Paper 1?
As I mentioned earlier, it is easy to target A. First, you need to target at least 28 marks for paper 1.
Paper 1 is easy because it gives multiple choice answers. All the answers are there. Some of the questions can be answered through logical explanations. If you master all the basic math, answering question number 1 until 20 wouldn't be so hard for you.
Here is the previous years’ topic by questions. Every year the questions that came out were in the same sequences. However, since there are new topics in the syllabus, I expect there will be few finance questions too.
|Standard Form( 3s.0||L|
|Standard Form (Subtraction)||M|
|Standard Form (Division)||L|
|Number Bases (Conversion of base Sto 8)||M|
|Number Bases (Subtraction of base 2)||M|
|Trigonometry (sin unit circle)||M|
|Trigonometro Function (Cosine)||H|
|Graphs of functions (Quadratic)||M|
|Graphs of Functions (Reciprocal)||M|
|Lines and Plane In Three Dimensions||H|
|Lines and Plane In Three Dimensions||M|
|Angles of Elevation and Depression||M|
|Quadratic Expressions and Equations|
|Linear Inequalities II (listing)||M|
|Statistics Une Graph)||M |
|Statistics mod /median)||H|
|The Straight Line (Intercepts)||M|
|The Straight Line (Gradient)||M|
|Earth As Sphere||M|
|Earth As Sphere||M|
[L : Low, M : Medium, H : High]
Fret not, you can still score more than 28 if you try to master these topics. You can also find the SPM Latest Format at Superprof.
How to Target A for SPM Latest Mathematics Paper 2?
Now we move on to Paper 2. I told you to at least get 28 marks for paper 1 right? Let me explain how many marks you should target for paper 2 to get A and at least to get a passing mark.
By the way, the baseline of passing marks for SPM depends on the Malaysia Examination Board (LPM) and it is top secret. Below is the passing mark for SPM Subjects in 2019. You can see that the baseline has been lowered compared to the usual passing mark of 40.
|Pendidikan Seni Visual||84||74||68||64||61||53||47||35||23||20|
Marks to get A in SPM Mathematics Paper 2
Paper 1 = X
Paper 2 = Y
Total mark = X + Y / 140 x 100
The lowest mark to target A in SPM is 75%. If you get 28 for paper 1, therefore for paper 2 you should target,
75 = (28 + Y) /140 x100
Y = (75 x 140 / 100) – 28
Y = 77
To get A, you should target at least 77 over 100 marks for paper 2. I don't think it is hard to get it. I’ll teach you how in the next section.
Marks to get A in SPM Mathematics Paper 2
The lowest mark to at least pass in SPM is 40%. If you get 28 for paper 1, therefore for paper 2 you should target,
[using the same equation as above]
40 = (28 + Y) /140 x100
Y = (40 x 140 / 100) – 28
Y = 28
You just need to get 28 marks to pass! Seriously? I believe all of you who read this article can now grasp how easy it is to pass your SPM paper.
Are you now excited yet to sit for the SPM examination? There are more tips on how to decode Paper 2 Mathematics SPM.
What are Proven Tips to Score SPM Mathematics?
As I promised, I’m going to give away tips that I always give to my beloved students on how they can get A!
- Master the basic math, mainly arithmetics. The reason is to reduce time instead of clicking calculator buttons when you can’t even calculate 10 x 14!
- Learn how to use your calculator effectively. Most questions in paper 1 can be answered directly using a calculator, such as number base, standard form, and equations (linear, quadratic and cubic).
- Question 1 until 20 are the easiest. So get all these questions right!
- Do more exercises on the SPM model questions. The construction of the questions will be the same, it is just the number will be different.
- Do not spend too long thinking. Estimate only 30 seconds to think and if you can’t think of a solution, move on to the next question as quickly as possible.
- There will be questions that can be answered logically. Try eliminating the wrong answers to reduce the probability to get it right.
- Start with part B and C first before going through part A. There are only 5 questions in part B and 1 question in part C to answer. These 2 parts altogether contain 60 marks!
- Allocate reasonable time for each sections:
- Part A : 60 minutes
- Part B : 60 minutes
- Part C : 30 minutes
- Part C is the bonus questions. Usually the questions are either to draw Graph of Function or Lines and Plane In Three Dimensions.
- Master at least 3 topics such as Statistic, Graph of Function or Angles, Elevation and Depression, Earth As Sphere or transformations.
- Usually there won’t be any HOTs questions in part B and C, that is why these parts are easier to score.
We have looked at the marking scheme on SPM Mathematics paper 1 and paper 2. Are you getting more confident in scoring A for your examination?
If you understand all the formats, formulas, and do a lot of exercises, I believe you will get an outstanding grade in your SPM. Check out the Complete Guide to SPM Mathematics 2021.
However, if you are weak in the subjects, look for alternative learning methods. You can also get extra classes at tuition centres or tutor. You can find a lot of experienced tutors at Superprof too! Tutors at Superprof will always be readily available anytime if you need them.
You can also inquire to LPM to know more on the latest format of SPM through the following channels.
- Website : Malaysia Examination Board (LPM)
- Website : Ministry of Education (MOE)
- Phone : 03-8870 6000
- Address : Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia (KPM), Sektor Pendidikan Tinggi, No. 2, Menara 2, Jalan P5/6, 62200, Putrajaya, Malaysia.
I hope my sharing on the SPM Mathematics 2021 Marking Scheme might help you to score your examination’s paper easily.