Do you know that Mathematics is the easiest subject to score? Please say YES! If not, I have a story that can bring some motivation and hopefully you’ll get inspired and know how to score your math paper.
I had experienced tutoring a 16 years old student who flunked his Mathematics Paper really badly – mostly getting 0 or sometimes a few marks, but usually less than 10! When his mom called me to help him, I realized he had a problem focusing during classes.
That is not all. After 2 classes, I asked his mom to take him to see a psychologist. Why? Because I realized he was still confused about writing numbers 2 and 5. That is the usual trait for dyslexia.
My hunches were right. He suffers from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). This makes the student unable to give 100% attention and focus on whatever he is doing.
ADHD is not the end of the world. The importance of getting diagnosed earlier will help the students and everyone around them. You cannot teach them the same way you teach normal students.
Thus, the first approach I did was to eliminate all the distractions during the class. Then I started to teach him the basic mathematics. VERY BASIC - Everything from addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (arithmetics).
After a couple months ( I started teaching him after the mid-term examination), he took his final examination and finally received 30% marks! Not bad for someone that has just started learning his math at 16 with ADHD. You can’t eliminate the fact that he was studying at a normal school, and taking a normal examination where he might get distracted while doing his examination too!
During his SPM, he managed to ace B for his modern mathematics paper. I am so proud of him. All the practices, all the time invested has been paid off.
Sometimes teachers at school are unable to evaluate each student’s behavior. For those with ADHD, the symptoms are not very visible compared to Dyslexia. Teachers might think the students are naughty and not interested in class.
Yes, even if you don't have ADHD, but if you are failing your mathematics paper, the first method to study math is to start from the basics. No harm in spending a couple months understanding the basic math concept rather than trying hard to do complicated math questions when you can’t even count well.
In this article, we are going to cover the SPM Mathematics latest format, where to find SPM Mathematics past year papers, tips on answering essay papers and how SPM Mathematics is marked. Here we at Superprof are dedicated to help you in your journey.
What is 2021 SPM Mathematics Examination Format ?
|Paper 1||Paper 1||Paper 2||Paper 2 |
|Old Format||New Format||Old Format||New Format |
|Duration||75 minutes||90 minutes||150 minutes||150 minutes |
|Number of Questions||40 Questions (Answer all questions)||40 Questions (Answer all questions)||Section A|
• 11 Questions
• Answer all questions
• 52 marks
• 5 questions
• Answer 4 over 5 questions
• 48 marks
|Section A |
• 10 Questions
• Answer all questions
• 40 marks
• 5 questions
• Answer all questions
• 45 marks
• 2 questions
• Answer 1 Question
• 15 marks
Let’s see the proven tips for your SPM Examination Paper that has been compiled by Superprof.
- Manage your time well! For paper 1, the first 20 questions are easy questions. DO NOT EXCEED 90 seconds per question. For the next 20 questions, spend at most 2 minutes for each question.
- DO NOT BE OVERCONFIDENT! This is the worst mistake a student can make. I know math is easy to answer but remember, math is also easy to misunderstand that leads to simple or silly mistakes.
- Thus, spend the last 20 minutes to always check your answer.
- Always be aware of time. If you think you can’t answer the question within the time you’ve allocated, skip it first and come back to the questions once you've finished answering the other questions.
- Memorize only the formula that is not given in the formula list in the exam.
- By now you should have mastered your multiplication table!
Check out more in depth on what SPM latest format is.
What is SPM 2021 Mathematics Examination Marking Scheme?
There are 2 papers in Mathematics subjects. Paper 1 is an objective paper whilst paper 2 is subjective (written test).
A total of 140 marks from paper 1, 40 marks and paper 2, 100 marks.
You can easily target A by targeting how many marks you can get in paper 1 and paper 2. As for paper 1, the questions are mostly basic mathematics. You can easily get the answer by logic or using calculators. The level of intensity is at ratio 5: 3: 1 (L:M:H).
Meanwhile for Paper 2, section A contains most of the HOTs questions. Section B and Section C needed more writing and explanations. So you are going to spend most of your time doing these sections.
Even the weightage for each question is higher in both of these sections. A total of 60 marks with roughly 8 marks per questions in section B and 15 marks per questions in section C.
To get ‘A’s in SPM is not too far away to achieve. Like my story of the student with the inability to focus can achieve at least B in SPM, I believe you can do a better job! Start doing your revision as early as possible.
Here are a few things you should remember when answering a Mathematics paper.
- Apply all the formulas that you've learnt in class.
- Master the basics as a firm grasp and understanding enable you to apply knowledge effectively.
- Practice and work more on HOTS questions.
- Frequently ask questions. Never let yourself sit for hours to find a solution to one question. That is a waste of time. Math can be learnt through experience.
- If you know, teach others. Guiding your peers is one way for you to learn and memorize the answering process without you even noticing it.
There are more tips on scoring SPM papers following the latest SPM Marking Scheme.
What is SPM 2021 Mathematics Paper 2 Question Format and Answering Tips?
There are only 2 papers that you need to score in SPM Mathematics subjects. However, the best point will come from Paper 2. You need to be familiar with the type of questions that might come out in Paper 2 and know how to tackle the questions.
You only need to answer 16 questions in Paper 2. It has been divided into 3 sections, A (10 Questions), B (5 Questions), and C (2 Questions).
The simplicity of the questions depends on the weightage of the marks given. So it is easy to predict how much you should write and what kind of answer they expect. There are two types of questions – normal and HOTs questions.
Usually the HOTs question is not a direct question. Here are steps to tackle HOTs questions.
- Identify the problem/s
- Find the variable/s
- Make your own equation/s
- Choose the best way to answer
- Give explanation/s (If any)
You need to also be mindful of the timing of answering each question. DO NOT spend more than 2 minutes thinking of the solution without putting anything on your paper. Skip to the next questions and get back to those questions after you've done every other question.
Check out a few tips that you can use to answer your SPM Mathematics Paper 2 effectively.
- Read the question thoroughly.
- Underline what the questions want.
- Use the correct Answering method.
- Highlight your answer by using hashtag or double line.
- Always give explanations when needed, especially HOTs Questions.
You can find more answering guides on How to Decode SPM 2021 Mathematics Paper 2.
Where to Find SPM Mathematics Past Year Papers and References?
Getting your hands on the past year papers or model Mathematics SPM questions are the best thing you can get. Practice is the best medicine to score in Math. Never forget that.
How can you find the best resources to take references, or doing exercises for your Math paper?
First, you need to know there are different platforms offering education services.
- Printed version – Reference books, exercise books, or model questions.
- Websites – notes, downloadable practices, online practices, or even online tutoring.
- Applications – mathematics games apps that you can download on google play or apple store .
- Education TV – Astro TV, YouTube, National TV1.
These platforms have both pros and cons. The most cost effective is to search reputable websites for any free downloadable materials that you can print yourself or watch on youtube how to solve equations.
Do you know Superprof is one of the best education platforms globally? We have more than a million teachers available for any online or face-to-face tutoring. You can easily choose your own favourite tutor.
The rate is also affordable compared to the market price in tuition centres and other private tutoring in Malaysia. Our rate starts as low as RM30 per hour! Yes this is real! Most of our tutors are the best in their field.
Education is one of the best investments you can make for your future. Remember, examination is just one way to measure your knowledge and skills in certain subjects. Thus, achieving good results can help you pave your future easily and you’ll be able to achieve greater things earlier than the rest of your peers.
The platform that connects tutors and students