The English language has been widely used all around the world since decades ago, and people are still using it as a form of communication whether in a formal setting or even in the entertainment industries. Nowadays, in order to be successful on a global level, you need to be able to speak English. This applies to anyone who is planning to expand their business ventures, a singer aiming to make an international debut, and even a student who wishes to further their studies overseas. If you can't speak English or are limited to speaking in your own mother tongue, all of these will be hard to achieve as people outside of your homeland will have difficulty understanding you.
Thus, you should start to nurture your English skills at a very young age. UPSR is one of the examinations to measure your knowledge and help you improve further on. Later in this article, Superprof will help you on finding the best credible past year papers and the best UPSR Model Questions.
Getting to Know Your UPSR English Paper Format
This part is the crucial part you should take note of. The changes and improvement made to the examination is almost every 3-5 years. So, you should be aware of the format before starting to look at the best reference you can get as a preparation for UPSR.
UPSR English is divided into 2 English Subjects. The first one is Paper 1 Bahasa Inggeris Pemahaman (English Comprehension) and Paper 2 Bahasa Inggeris Penulisan (English Writing).
Here are the instruments taken from the Ministry of Education.
- Paper 1 Bahasa Inggeris Pemahaman (English Comprehension)
- Paper 1 Bahasa Inggeris Pemahaman Bahagian B (English Comprehension Section B)
- Paper 2 Bahasa Inggeris Penulisan (English Writing)
These instruments are the guidelines on how the actual UPSR Examination paper will look like. Try to familiarize yourself with these types of questions. Once you do, you’ll be able to notice the differences between the old format and the latest format.
Choosing the Best UPSR English Reference Paper
Modernization has made everything become easy to access. BUT, this allows all fake news and fake materials to become readily available too. We must know how to differentiate between the fake and the credible materials.
In this case, Superprof has made an effort to help you choose the best references for UPSR English Paper.
The best reference is still by far printed materials such as books and newspapers. Sounds outdated right?
You can say all you want with these outdated styled materials. However, this type of material is one that had been published with thorough research from credible resources.
Here are some publishers that have been recognized in the education world in Malaysia.
- Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia (MOE) – This is the one most credible reference that you can look for. However, they only published past year’s papers and not any UPSR model questions.
- Sasbadi Publication – They have been publishing education materials for almost 35 years! Their experience has made them one of the best publishing companies in Malaysia.
- Pelangi Publication – The book published by Pelangi has been recognized as one of the most affordable books among all of its competitors.
- Oxford Fajar Publication – This publishing company is one of the best companies in publishing English books and materials.
- Ilmu Bakti Publication – Even though they've just started out about a decade ago, however, they have made a name in publishing a reliable resource for education.
You can buy these books online from any online bookstores such as follow.
I know as I said earlier, the modern era has made things easy to access but I was recommending you search for books instead. Well, the world wide web (www) has created more misinformation compared to the real resources. So, in the next chapter, I’m going to recommend a few reference sites that can be worth looking for.
In addition, you may want to learn more tips on How to Score UPSR English Essay Writing.
The Best UPSR Reference’s Platform
Today, it is my responsibility to help you out on how and where to find English Past Year’s papers that you can refer to for the UPSR English Examination. My very first tip is for you to check that the site should always be aligned to the Ministry of Education as well as the Malaysia Examination Board.
So here are the few identified credible platforms that you can look to.
- Astro Tutor TV (Channel 601) – Geng UPSR is a drama focused on Learning and Revising UPSR interactively. Each episode lasts for 30 minutes and this drama is a collaboration between Astro TV and the Ministry of Education Malaysia. You can also watch the episode on jomstudi.my. Besides Geng UPSR, there is another episode called ‘Misi Studi’ that has similar aims with Geng UPSR.
- upsronline.com – This is by far the best free interactive UPSR practice available on the net. The site offers practices for all 5 main subjects, Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language), Bahasa Inggeris (English), Mathematics and Science.
- Sistem Guru Online dot My & Guru Besar dot My – These sites have a lot of downloadable reference papers and past years’ papers. There will be a few advertisements going to pop-up on your screen which I found a bit distracting. But we are free to take all the materials – so why bother? I also recently found out that they have added few online practices as well. These practices were made by schoolteachers using various platforms such as Quizziz, Wordwall and Flip Quiz.
UPSR English Interactive Practices
I believe this will be your most favourite part by far! UPSR English Interactive Practices. With all the study at home stuff, I know most parents are especially worried that they wouldn't have time to monitor their kids to do some homework. Plus, students will enjoy playing educational games instead of doing the same routine of studying by books.
So why worry? Modern era has come!
Lessons are now being converted into games. No more boring session of doing exercises on books. But be mindful that you still need to do a bit of writing to continuously let your hand motor to work a bit instead of constantly clicking on keyboard, alright?
So here are a few online sites that offer interactive UPSR Exercises.
- itutor – This is an application made for UPSR students. There are notes, graphics and practices that can be downloaded from the app store or google play.
- myUPSR Revision – This is another UPSR application made by courtesy of Malaysia Examination Board. They offer past years’ questions for all subjects. However, only paper 1 questions available on the apps.
- Skor-a.com – Through their apps i-Learn Ace, they offer comprehensive notes, thousands of online exercises, and a reporting system. However, this app comes with a price. There are 3 packages available from as low as RM199 for 180 days to RM 398 for a year.
To get more tips and info, check out the Complete Guide to UPSR English.
The new era or learning has made life easier. Thanks to that, education can still be resumed despite the challenges by the pandemic that hit us at the end of 2019.
Nonetheless, learning a new language will always be challenging in the beginning, but trust me, your efforts and hard work will be worth it once you are able to turn the English language into one of your assets.
As Malaysia has recognized English as one of the compulsory subjects to pass, we should all adhere to the course. English language will become much easier if we nurture the students from an early age.
These days, we can get access to education not only from school and tuition centres, but also from the apps and personal tutor too, whether through physical or online sessions. Believe me, there is always a demand in finding an English tutor or a learning center specializing in the English language.
Having a personal tutor has been a trend now as the tutor is able to closely monitor the students’ performance. In order to succeed in life, a great control of English is a must. Here, Superprof is one of the leading platforms for you to find an experienced English tutor nearby or any global tutor for any particular subjects that you want!
Some of you may have been wondering. Why is UPSR important? Will we even have the examination this year seeing that Covid-19 is still running rampant across the country, and even the world?
I say, even if the national examination is to be abolished, there is still the school yearly assessment and examination to look out for and their format would not differ too much from the current system. So, don’t ever think that it’s a waste to learn now! Continue to do your best no matter what changes or challenges come your way.
The platform that connects tutors and students