"THERE'S TOO MUCH TO READ AND MEMORISE!"
As a former Form 6 student, I agree with the opinion that sitting for STPM is one of the toughest periods of a student's life. Most of us who have taken or who are currently taking STPM probably thought it wouldn't be too difficult to do away with a year and a half of our youth studying a minimum of four subjects - boy, were we wrong!
Time is never really on our side during STPM. You could be learning just several chapters and BOOM, examinations are just a month away. We put so much effort into studying, which is especially needed for subjects that take a lot of reading and memorising - just like Sejarah. While effort is a true virtue, so is making sure your hard work doesn't go to waste. This is why we at Superprof believe the key to mastering Sejarah is not to study hard but to study smart.
Read on for the best references, notes and papers for STPM Sejarah - we've even included some tips and tricks for effective note-taking! How about checking out our ultimate guide on STPM Sejarah 2021, too?
What will I study in STPM Sejarah?
Apart from just studying history, it is important to know that Sejarah, as one of the core STPM Malaysia subjects, emphasises higher-order thinking skills (HOTS) throughout the duration of one's study. How will I be able to apply these historical concepts to my life? What is the significance of this event in history to our country today? The STPM Sejarah syllabus seeks to guide students in:
- Strengthening their understanding of historical concepts, thoughts and philosophies;
- Enhancing their understanding of the causes, effects, as well as continuity and changes in historical events;
- Mastering the skills of collecting, selecting, evaluating, and interpreting sources as historical evidence;
- Developing humanistic skills;
- Analysing and summarising historical facts in critical and rational ways;
- Appreciating the importance of historical events, figures, issues, and social changes in society;
- Taking lessons from historical events;
- Strengthening their sense of responsibility as a citizen towards the nation's sovereignty;
With these objectives in mind, you can now approach the Sejarah syllabus content. There are different themes covered over each term, just as there are different papers that will test students on each theme. Let's take a look at how STPM Sejarah is taught in each term:
- Penggal 1: Your first term sheds light on historical events throughout Asia, Europe, and the United States - that is why this term is considered a study into Sejarah Dunia, or world history. The syllabus for world history covers the time period from 1500 to 1955. You can expect to learn about changes in society, patterns of different governments, important points in world development, and how nations came to be.
- Penggal 2: In your second term, Sejarah Islam, or Islamic history, will be studied from the year 500 to 1918. You will read about how societies came to be with the arrival of Islam, the importance of international relations and the formation of Islamic nation-states. Additionally, your Sejarah project work will be carried out in this term, which encourages students to conduct and write a paper about historical research.
- Penggal 3: Finally, explore the history that's closer to home with Sejarah Malaysia dan Asia Tenggara, or Malaysian and Southeast Asian history. You will learn about local communities and how they have been transformed through progress and development, as well as nationalist movements and the fight for independence across nations in Southeast Asia.
Why is Penggal 2 Sejarah different from Penggal 1 and Penggal 3? Read here to decode the format and papers in STPM Sejarah Penggal 2 2021.
Where to find STPM Sejarah references notes and papers?
What kind of references should you use to get more information on the Sejarah topics you are studying? Are there specific books you should buy that are tied to the yearly exam questions? And what about the past year papers? - Surely there is a website to get an up-to-date version of all the STPM Sejarah papers.
Ease your worries with these STPM Sejarah references notes and other helpful resources that will guide you towards excelling your studies:
- Official MPM Portal: What's the best place to source out references that are actually used to teach STPM Sejarah? Right from the source, of course - head over to the official Malaysian Examinations Council (MPM) portal to download the STPM Sejarah syllabus for free. Apart from listing down the format of STPM Sejarah, the document comes with the list of official references according to term, so you can use these to gain a better understanding of the Sejarah topics. Official sample papers at the end of the syllabus can also be used for revisions.
- Bumi Gemilang: A favourite website for teachers and students looking for notes, worksheets, references, and papers related to Malaysian education. Bumi Gemilang offers a huge collection of resources for STPM Sejarah - short notes for each term, revision papers, past year papers, and other reference materials. You can download these materials into your desktop or save them online. The best thing is that these resources are completely free, so this is a great option for students who would also like to save up on buying Sejarah references.
- Academia.edu: Although this website is often used as a free platform for access into journal articles and other academic papers, STPM Sejarah teachers and educators upload papers to the website very often, too. Type keywords into the Academia.edu search engine, such as "STPM Sejarah Penggal 1", and gain access to past year papers or revision exercises that you can complete with a quick download. While you have to create an Academia.edu account for obtain these papers, you can nonetheless sign up for a free account.
Did you know we also offer insights into the latest format of STPM Sejarah 2021?
How to take STPM notes for Sejarah?
Do you struggle with remembering what you have learnt in class? Are you wishing that you could be better at taking notes? If your answer is yes, then keep on reading. Knowing how to take effective notes can help you better focus in class, increase your understanding of the topics, and retain that information in your memory. Here are some ideas for effective note-taking in class:
- Read ahead: That's right - reading ahead is absolutely essential when it comes to studying Sejarah because there is just so much to cover. But don't stop there! Create an outline of the main topic and subtopics, which you can use as a template for further note-taking later. Feel free to bring these outlines to class to add on to what you have learnt, such as other examples or details about historical events as provided by your teacher.
- Keep it short: Isn't it such a hassle to write down lengthy sentences as the teacher is speaking? It's time to think smart - what abbreviations or short forms can you use to cut down your sentences? Better yet, do you know any symbols or drawings to replace those words? As an example, "FAMI" can be used as acronym to represent the four societies (Feudal, Agrarian, Maritime, Industrial) in Sejarah Dunia.
- Make flow charts: Sejarah discusses events that have happened in order, so flow charts are a fantastic way to explain what was involved in a historical event. This step-by-step method can assist you in understanding how an event unfolded while encouraging you to organise and map out information - which is awesome for training your memory.
Since note-taking helps to organise your thoughts and determine what is important to remember, this will help you score well in your Sejarah examinations, too! You can learn about the Sejarah examinations according to the Malaysia STPM syllabus in the latest marking scheme for STPM Sejarah 2021.
How to find Sejarah online tutor in Malaysia?
Even with the right references and effective note-taking, students may still face hurdles as they try to cope with this challenging subject called Sejarah. Fortunately, you do not have to go through it alone - Superprof can easily connect you with a tutor of your choice! Looking for Sejarah tuition for STPM has never been so easy now that Superprof brings you tutors from all around Malaysia.
"What if I want Sejarah STPM tuition near me?" Whether you would like to attend a physical Sejarah lesson or a Sejarah STPM tuition online, it's no problem at all. There are over 240 STPM Malaysia subjects tutors to choose from on Superprof, and they are ready to personalise your Sejarah lessons be it online or face-to-face!
To look for a Sejarah online tutor in Malaysia, simply visit the Superprof Private Tutors page to find tutors who are offering STPM Sejarah lessons. Each tutor comes with a detailed job description of their personal and work life so you can get to know your tutor. It is also easy to book a class when you sign up with Superprof - click into the tutor's profile to start connecting and select a date for your first lesson (for free!) with the tutor. It's as simple as that!
The platform that connects tutors and students