"Practising full focus in teaching and learning sessions at home (PdPR) is one of the secrets of successful STPM students." Even when the pandemic meant physical classes had to be put on hold, Najwa Mohd Kamal was able to score a perfect CGPA of 4.00 in her 2020 STPM results - against all odds.
Like other STPM candidates in the Arts stream, Najwa also took up STPM Sejarah. If you've chosen this path in your STPM journey, then you will also look back at previous events and learn to ask important questions: What sparks civilisation? How does a world war start? When is a nation at peace? What are the systems that govern our societies today? To ask the right questions, you might also want to read this guide on how to tackle Sejarah in STPM 2021.
What does Sejarah look like in the Malaysia STPM syllabus? How different is it from SPM and what will you learn in each term? We've got the answers for you - keep on reading!
The best STPM notes for Sejarah Penggal 1
If you have always been interested in why the world works the way it does and how pivotal events have shaped our daily lives, then Penggal 1 might be your favourite term for STPM Sejarah. Penggal 1 focuses on world history, but more specifically, the STPM Sejarah syllabus follows historical events throughout Asia, Europe, and the United States. The syllabus looks at the time period between the years 1500 to 1955 and covers the following four themes:
- Society: Students learn about four main types of societies from the 16th to the 19th century. They explore the 16th & 17th centuries' feudal societies of England and Japan, the agrarian societies of Holland (the Netherlands) and China, and the maritime societies of Japan and Portugal. Further down the lines of the 18th & 19th centuries, students also learn about the industrial societies of England and Germany.
- Government and administration: How did government systems evolve from monarchies to parliamentary democracies? In this theme, 16th to 20th centuries' monarchies of China and Russia are studied, along with English and French absolute and constitutional monarchies from the 16th to the 18th century. Additionally, political unions, federations and nation-states formed throughout the 18th and 19th centuries are discussed.
- Progress and development: This theme highlights historical developments in the economic, intellectual and education sectors. Read about economic systems across the topics of feudalism, capitalism, business and trade, agriculture and industrial growth from the 16th to the 19th century. Students also talk about the intellectual contributions of important figures, as well as educational growth in England, France and Germany.
- Nationalism and nation-building: How did societies respond to colonisation and how did they gain independence? Study the 20th century World Wars and the return of sovereign power to China and India, as well as the cooperation across nations in international organisations, such as the United Nations, Commonwealth of Nations and NATO.
After completing studies on world history, Form 6 students will then sit for a central assessment, or 940/1 (Sejarah 1), at the end of their first term. Students are to answer a set of essay questions that test their knowledge on the above four themes, however, they will only have to answer 4 out of the 6 questions in the paper. You can read here for a look at the 2021 Sejarah paper marking scheme.
What is the Penggal 2 STPM Sejarah syllabus?
Ever wondered what Islamic history looked like from the 5th century onwards? As a Muslim majority country, with our official religion being Islam, learning such a history becomes important to understand the cultures and values that represent our nation. Let's see what the STPM Sejarah syllabus looks like in Penggal 2:
- Society, government, administration, defense, and international relations: A journey across the jahiliyyah society of the 6th century Arabian peninsula, the story of Nabi Muhammad SAW, and caliphates through the 7th to 9th century. After that, read about the central and regional governments in Islamic history, along with international relations such as diplomacies and treaties.
- Development and exploration: Learn about economic systems during the times of Nabi Muhammad SAW, the Abbasid Caliphate and the Melaka Sultanate. The philosophy and features of Islamic education are also explored, along with the history of Revealed Knowledge (Naqli) and Acquired Knowledge (Aqli). Students also study the contribution of important figures and Andalusian/Indian architecture to Islamic development.
- Nationalism and nation-building: How did Islamic civilisation experience colonisation and independence? From the 18th to 20th century, colonisations and nationalistic movements in Islamic history occurred during the Ottoman Empire and in nation-states such as Egypt, Algeria, Syria and Turkey.
In your second STPM term, you will not only have a central assessment, but you will also have to carry out a Penggal 2 project work. While the project work will be evaluated by your STPM Sejarah teacher, it is nonetheless important for you to excel in it while making STPM Sejarah references notes in order to score for your second term.
Want to know more about the project work in Penggal 2 Sejarah? Read here for the latest STPM Sejarah Penggal 2 2021.
How to study STPM Sejarah Penggal 3?
The final term of the Malaysia STPM syllabus sees Sejarah as a study of Malaysian and Southeast Asian history. You can look forward to enriching your STPM notes with interesting facts about our tropical region, most notably, events from the years 1800 to 2000. Do note that STPM Sejarah Penggal 3 is split into two parts: Part A, which covers historical events in Malaysia, and Part B that covers events in other parts of Southeast Asia. Despite two different parts, both Part A and B share four common themes:
- Local community: How did government institutions, social systems and the economy used to look like in Malaysia and its neighbouring countries? The different strata of society, laws and systems, and traditional and commercial economies in Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia are featured in this theme.
- Community transformation: Dive into the history of our Southeast Asian community that fell into the hands of Western power. Read about the arrival of Western power and resistance movements, which led to changes in administrative, economic and educational sectors throughout Malaysia, Indonesia and Myanmar.
- Nationalism and nation-building: With the community transformed, the people of Southeast Asia began to build their nations. Nationalistic movements, such as that in Malaysia, Indonesia and Myanmar during the occupation of Japanese forces, brought about the fight for independence in these nations.
- Independence: How did independence influence growth and development in Southeast Asia? Study the patterns of government, economic and social developments, and the involvements of international organisations that shaped Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines in the 20th century.
Ever heard the saying "practice makes perfect"? Explore our collection of the best STPM Sejarah reference papers 2021.
Where to find an online tutor in Malaysia for Sejarah STPM?
I'm sure most STPM candidates know by now that in each central assessment for STPM Sejarah, you will only have to answer essay questions - no multiple-choice questions, no short-answer ones... sounds simple, right? But did you know that you'll have to write lengthy essays, which can sometimes even be up to 4 pages per question? No kidding!
Out of all the STPM Malaysia subjects, Sejarah is a challenging one to ace - not only do you have to master historical facts and remember the names of historical figures, but you have to be able to deliver it in a flawless essay format! Learning how to write these facts in a short amount of time requires a lot of practice (we might even say training!), but what is the best way to master these skills?
Superprof is a global community of tutors who are eager to share their knowledge and passion - even for those looking for Sejarah tuition for STPM. With Superprof, you can choose to find an "STPM tuition online" or an "STPM tuition near me", because we offer STPM Sejarah classes both in-person and online! With an average price of only RM37 for an STPM online tutor in Malaysia, you can get that quality tutoring for your Sejarah essay writing at a modest price.
Here's some good news for you: why settle for just a comfortable tutoring rate when you can take your first lesson for free? Yes! You can take your first STPM Sejarah lesson for free on Superprof - all you have to do is browse through our catalogue of tutors, check out their tutoring descriptions, and get connected with a Sejarah tutor of your choice. Sign up with Supeprof and make learning Sejarah easy!
The platform that connects tutors and students