Did you know that Penggal 2 is considered one of the most difficult terms for STPM Sejarah? Truth be told, Sejarah is a challenging subject in itself. According to statistics from Unit Pengambilan Universiti (UPU) Malaysia, Sejarah appears to be the one subject that Form 6 students struggle to do well in. Of all the STPM Malaysia subjects, Sejarah is yet to record a "Full Pass" percentage increase or any other form of improvement in student performance since 2017.
Difficulty wrapping your head around the subject, endless note-taking, sleepless nights, headaches... we've heard it ALL! STPM students often mention that they've got more work cut out for them in the second STPM term, which is why Superprof is reaching out to you today. Would you like to know more about how to tackle STPM Sejarah 2021? In this post, we bring you the essentials you'll need to excel in STPM Sejarah Penggal 2.
What is the Malaysia STPM syllabus like for Sejarah?
What are you going to study in Sejarah during your second term? There are two parts of the STPM Sejarah syllabus in Penggal 2, which centre on Sejarah Islam (Islamic history) and Kerja Projek (Project Work). Here are some questions to ponder about when you are learning Sejarah Islam in Penggal 2:
- How did Islamic culture influence changes in society, systems of government, and international relations? Discuss concepts and structures of Islamic societies such as jahiliyyah and ummah, the leadership of Nabi Muhammad SAW, and caliphate institutions. In addition, the meanings of jihad, war and leadership in the creation of Islamic territories, as well as relations through Islamic diplomacy and treaties are considered.
- What are the ways in which Islamic culture brought about changes in the economy, culture and development? Explore the characteristics of economic systems during the Abbasid Empire, the Sultanate of Melaka, and the Rashidun Caliphate. Educational institutions and systems, such as Fardhu 'Ain and Fardhu Kifayah, are also investigated, along with intellectual and cultural developments in Islam.
- What was the process, effects and response of the Islamic community towards colonisation and the formation of nation-states? Talk about the expansion of Western power and the emergence of nationalist movements throughout the 18th to 20th century, particularly during the Ottoman Empire and in places such as Egypt, Algeria, Syria and Turkey.
On the other hand, the Kerja Projek emphasises concepts and theories in history, as well as conducting historical research. Take note that apart from laying out the steps in your research and identifying the resources you need, you will have to prepare at least 5 reference sources, which must have at least 3 to 5 books, including journal articles. For your project work, you'll be focusing on these five components:
- Explain the concepts and theories in history;
- Explore research methods and narrative writing;
- Prepare a research proposal regarding meaningful topics in history;
- Identify and collect research materials for the project;
- Share research findings in essay and presentation form.
For more ideas on STPM Sejarah references notes for Penggal 2 and the other STPM terms, check out our list of the best STPM Sejarah reference papers in 2021.
How to answer STPM Sejarah Penggal 2?
Just like there are two parts to the Malaysia STPM syllabus in Sejarah Penggal 2, there are also two papers to prepare for - Kertas Sejarah 2 (940/2) and Kertas Sejarah 4 (940/4). Kertas Sejarah 2 is pretty straightforward: STPM candidates will sit for this paper at the end of their second term, which is a central assessment covering the topics about Sejarah Islam. It is a written examination, which involves a total of 6 essay questions: students only have to answer 3 out of the 6 questions in the paper.
Candidates are given 1 hour 30 minutes to write down the answers for their chosen three questions, which accumulate up to a full score of 60 marks. The points, however, will be weighted to a total of 22% in your final STPM Sejarah result. Now, how should you answer your Kertas Sejarah 2? When writing your answers, remember to follow the following format:
- Start with an introduction: All 3 essay questions will require you to write at least one introductory paragraph. In your introduction, avoid adding content that answers the question (this should be saved for the body of the essay). This would otherwise cost you marks in terms of Communication. A good introduction should be short and simple, with about 6 to 8 lines of sentences.
- Follow with the body: In the body of your essay, you should include at least 4 to 5 points for content, which will then correspond to 4 or 5 paragraphs. Each paragraph should consist of one key point, as well as descriptions and examples to support the point. There should be 8 to 10 lines of sentences per paragraph to ensure your points and facts are thoroughly explained.
- End with a closing: Similar to your introduction, the closing paragraph should be kept short and simple, with around 6 to 8 lines of sentences. Your closing should summarise the key points in your essay, and remember to refer again to the question. Using connectors such as "finally", "lastly", or "in conclusion" can also signal that you have brought your essay to a close.
Want to know what PTK means for STPM examiners who are marking your Sejarah paper? Read about PTK marks and more here in the latest marking scheme for STPM Sejarah 2021.
Grading STPM Malaysia subjects like Sejarah
Just like Kertas Sejarah 2 is in tune with Sejarah Islam, Kertas Sejarah 4 is in line with the project work conducted throughout Penggal 2. We could say that the STPM notes you have made for your project work are exactly the ones you'll need for Kertas Sejarah 4! To clarify, students will have to choose one out of the four themes in Kertas Sejarah 4, which are dependent on the themes chosen for that year by the Malaysian Examinations Council. Here is the complete list of possible themes for STPM Kertas Sejarah 4:
- Economic history (Sejarah ekonomi)
- Judicial and legal history (Sejarah kehakiman dan perundangan)
- Military history (Sejarah ketenteraan)
- Culinary and food history (Sejarah kulinari dan makanan)
- History of ethnic groups/racial groups/clans/tribes (Sejarah kumpulan etnik/kaum/klan/suku kaum)
- History of education (Sejarah pendidikan)
- History of medicine and health (Sejarah perubatan dan kesihatan)
- Political history (Sejarah politik)
- History of science and technology (Sejarah sains dan teknologi)
- History of arts and culture (Sejarah seni dan kebudayaan)
- Sports history (Sejarah sukan)
- History of places (Sejarah tempat)
- History of important figures (Sejarah tokoh)
Based on the above themes, students can choose any research topic of their liking, whether it relates to Malaysian history, Southeast Asian history, Islamic history or world history. Bear in mind that your research topic should cover historical events only from the years 500 A.D. to 2000. Your research topic will be presented in a final essay, which ideally, should have a length of around 2,500 to 3,000 words.
To grade the paper or project work, students are allocated a total of 55 marks, which carry a final weightage of 20%. Unlike Kertas Sejarah 2, Kertas Sejarah 4 will be graded by your Sejarah teacher or any examiner appointed by your institution. Would you like to read about the full format of STPM Sejarah? Check out this complete format of STPM Sejarah 2021.
Where to find Sejarah STPM tuition near me?
Are you looking for an STPM tuition online or face-to-face? With the current pandemic restrictions, it can be difficult to master your Sejarah Penggal 2 if you aren't having daily discussions with your classmates or not having your teacher around to tell you in detail about how to improve your Sejarah essay writing. Would you like to get connected with an STPM Sejarah tutor who can carry out discussions with you and give you tips for improvement?
With over 240 STPM tutors in Malaysia, now is the time to improve your Sejarah knowledge with Superprof! To schedule a class with your Superprof tutor, start by signing up for a free account on Superprof. After selecting a tutor you are interested in, you will notice a "Book a class" icon on the top right corner of your screen, below your tutor's hourly rate. This will give you the opportunity to schedule your first class and share a little bit about yourself - for instance, you can type out a short introduction to let your tutor know more about you.
If you are a parent or guardian looking for a Sejarah tuition for STPM for your teenager, you can highlight that under the "Who is this lesson for?" option. In addition to also selecting your course format (online or face-to-face), you can immediately propose a date for your first lesson and leave your contact information so that your tutor can get back to you. Taking an STPM Sejarah class with an online tutor in Malaysia has never been easier!
The platform that connects tutors and students