Now that vaccines are being rolled out to teenagers in Malaysia, STPM candidates can feel safer as they look forward to returning to their institutions and sitting for their upcoming examinations. While that worry is put aside, another worry still remains - the dreaded Sejarah subject. How on earth are STPM students going to tackle this difficult subject and score well in the exams?
As a public university student, I have heard some of my batchmates, who have taken STPM Sejarah, complain about how challenging it was to master the subject. Well, what if I tell you that learning Sejarah does not have to be all that difficult? In our Superprof ultimate guide, we're going to break down the syllabus, the papers and the resources you'll need to conquer STPM Sejarah.
What is the STPM Sejarah syllabus?
Also referred to as 940 Sejarah, Form 6 students study a broad array of topics in the STPM Sejarah syllabus, most notably in the three categories of world history, Islamic history, and Malaysian and Southeast-Asian history. Therefore, students gain exposure to themes that were not deeply covered in their previous SPM Sejarah, such as the World Wars, the Cold War, and the nationalism movements of Southeast-Asian countries aside from Malaysia, such as those of Vietnam, Indonesia and Myanmar. For an in-depth look into Sejarah in the Malaysia STPM syllabus, check out the latest format of STPM Sejarah 2021.
Essentially, the STPM Sejarah syllabus is made up of four papers that need to be completed by STPM candidates:
- Kertas 1 - Sejarah Dunia: Kertas 1 focuses on world history, specifically on events that happened in the time period from 1500 to 1955. This paper places emphasis on historical events in Asia, Europe and the United States. The themes covered in this paper are Society, Government and Administration; Progress and Development; and Nationalism and Nation-Building.
- Kertas 2 - Sejarah Islam: On the other hand, Kertas 2 looks towards Islamic history between the years 500 to 1918. There are three themes in this paper: Society, Government, Administration, Defense, and International Relations; Development and Exploration; and Nationalism and Nation-Building.
- Kertas 3 - Sejarah Malaysia dan Asia Tenggara: In Kertas 3, STPM candidates answer questions about the development of Malaysian and Southeast-Asian history from the years 1800 to 2000. There are four themes in this paper: Local Community; Community Transformation, Nationalism and Nation-Building; and Independence.
- Kertas 4 - Kerja Projek: Finally, unlike the other papers that are answered during the STPM examination, Kertas 4 is a project paper. Among the activities to complete this paper, candidates have to study the structure of history, prepare research proposals, write a research paper, and present their findings.
If you'd like to find out more about Kertas 2 and Kertas 4, read up here on tackling STPM Sejarah Penggal 2.
How do examiners mark papers in the Malaysia STPM syllabus?
If you are a current STPM Sejarah candidate, I am sure your STPM Malaysia subjects teacher has told you at least once about how important it is to score well in every term - perhaps he/she has told you that multiple times! As mentioned, there are four papers to be marked - but how are the marks segregated? How will you know which papers to focus more on or what topics to study for a better score? Well, let's see how the marks are allocated by term.
It is important to know that while the Sejarah papers make up different scores, these scores are added up to make a total score - this means that your STPM Sejarah results are a cumulative score of all the papers you are taking for the subject. In this case, you can indeed make up for your Sejarah results by obtaining a higher score in the next term if you did not perform well in a previous term. However, each paper carries a different weightage that could affect your overall score. Here is how the STPM Sejarah papers are scored:
- Term 1 - 29%: STPM candidates take Kertas 1 in their first term, in which students have to answer a set of essay questions. The total score for the paper is 80 points, which carries 29% weightage in the final result. Since it is a central assessment, students' papers are graded by examiners from the Malaysian Examinations Council.
- Term 2 - 22% + 20%: In the second term, STPM candidates take both Kertas 2 and Kertas 4. Similar to Kertas 1, Kertas 2 is a central assessment but, for its total score of 60 points, it carries a weightage of 22% of the total score. As opposed to being marked by Council examiners, Kertas 4, as a project-based assessment (making up a total of 50 points), is marked by either your Sejarah teacher or any examiner appointed by your institution.
- Term 3 - 29%: Kertas 3 is taken in the third term and, similar to both Kertas 1 and Kertas 2, this paper is in the form of a central assessment and is marked by the Council. It also carries the same total score and weightage as Kertas 1, which is 80 points for a rounded weightage of 29%.
Want to know what else is assessed in the subject? Check out this up-to-date marking scheme for STPM Sejarah 2021.
Where to find Sejarah STPM tuition near me?
Since Sejarah is considered by many Form 6 students as one of the most difficult subjects in STPM, many students need to take up Sejarah tuition for STPM for fear that they may not pass the subject. However, even with students taking their Sejarah STPM tuition online, some still struggle with the subject since it requires a lot of understanding and higher-order thinking skills. Where can students find a tutor to help them build the skills for understanding and higher-order thinking to ace STPM Sejarah?
Look no further: Superprof provides face-to-face classes for STPM Malaysia subjects like Sejarah, and if you're looking for an online tutor in Malaysia, you can meet one who teaches Sejarah online through Superprof! Over 240 Superprof tutors are teaching STPM Malaysia subjects, including Sejarah, and by signing up for the Superprof Private Tutors page, you can get to know your tutor. Unlike taking a tuition class without fully knowing your tutor's background, Superprof lets you meet your tutor before the actual class. On Superprof, STPM students can learn about their tutor's background and teaching experience. In that way, you can find out whether your future tutor's teaching style will help you build the understanding and higher-order thinking you'll need to excel in STPM Sejarah.
So how do you find the perfect tutor? Looking for Sejarah tuition for STPM on Superprof has never been easier - with our brand-new look, you can choose whether you'd like to take STPM Sejarah classes online or in-person immediately - just check out our Superprof Private Tutors page. Apart from the subject and mode of learning, you can also customise other features such as your preferred tutoring rate and the tutor response time (for instance, if you are looking for tutors who can respond within the same day).
Want to build the essential skills for STPM Sejarah? Book a class with your Superprof tutor today!
Where to get STPM notes for Sejarah?
Sejarah in the Malaysia STPM syllabus is incomplete without the notes, worksheets and model examination papers to perfect your practice in the subject - but where can you get these resources? Since Sejarah involves various historic themes, it would be great to source out references that cover all these topics without having to go through the hassle of visiting multiple bookstores to get different reference books... that might not even fulfil the entire STPM Sejarah syllabus.
Ready to make your STPM life easier? Here are some places to find your STPM Sejarah references notes, all-in-one:
- Carousell: You can call Carousell the "Shopee of educational books and resources". Register and connect with sellers directly via Carousell to get your STPM notes and references at the best price in Malaysia. Although most STPM Sejarah resources here are sold second hand on the websites, features such as photos, easy-to-read descriptions and custom chat allow you to purchase quality books at reasonable prices.
- BigGo Malaysia: Why visit multiple book-selling platforms when they have been brought together in one place? BigGo connects STPM students with booksellers from various shopping sites such as Shopee and Lazada Malaysia. If you are looking to save up on some money, you can even opt for pre-loved STPM Sejarah references notes which can be as low as half the price of the original references.
- Popular Online: With their online website launched in 2015, Malaysia's favourite bookstore has been a pioneer in connecting students with the resources they need to master the STPM Malaysia subjects. You can look for STPM Sejarah references under their "Pre-U/STPM" category. Monthly promotions are a norm for Popular, and their books are sold at affordable prices for students who sign up as members.
- Pelangi Books: Known as a popular local publisher of Malaysian education books, Pelangi has a special category on their website for STPM Malaysia subjects, which includes the STPM Sejarah textbooks, reference books and model test papers. This is a great choice for students who are fans of the Pelangi books and are familiar with the Pelangi style of mind maps.
Looking for more Sejarah references? You can also visit our list of the best STPM Sejarah reference papers for 2021. We wish you the best of luck with your STPM Sejarah examinations - you can do it!
The platform that connects tutors and students